Breakout Leads For Gateway

The Gateway module is currently the preferred access point for hacking the MGZSEV. It has two connectors on it both of them I have preliminary identified as “TE Connectivity MULTILOCK 025” types. The left is a 40 pin and the right is a 20 pin connector.

40 way connector: * RS Stock No. 712-1384 * Mfr. Part No. 1318389-1
Unfortunately for the 40 way there is no in-line connector partner. I asked TE about this and it appears it doesn’t exist. Therefore the option I will follow is to get a PCB header and solder direct to it (not ideal really bit doesn’t seem there is a choice!
40 way PCB header: * RS Stock No. 712-1299 * Mfr. Part No. 1376113-2

Parts for the 24 pin connector are also available, but I think (and hope) the 40 pin connector will be enough. Parts are on order and I’ll be making a breakout lead demonstrator next week.

For a reverse engineered pin-out of this connector and others see:

1 Like

Hi Mike,

Once you’ve tested this solution, let me know which signals are needed, and I can make a PCB to use as a piggy back mount to the Gateway, using the connectors you suggested 40 way connector: * RS Stock No. 712-1384 and 40 way PCB header: * RS Stock No. 712-1299, together with a OBD2 port for the OVMS to plug into, something like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/fxMAAOSwMVdYIaLX/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F
would that be of a help?

1 Like

Yes that is a really interesting idea. The gateway was in a tight spot but we should be able to fit something there. Here are comparison photos of the MG and the connector I have just got…they appear correct
Google Photos
Google Photos

They look similar, being a standard connector it should fit.

This all sounds good, but I’m no electrician…

OK I can now confirm the details of the connector and pinout for the breakout leads, the information has all been uploaded to the access notes document. I am interfacing with the 40 pin connector on the Gateway Module, this appears to give access to the following:

• EV CAN
  • The other side of the OBD CAN (suspected)
  • 2 other unidentified CAN
  • a single LIN

All information is contained in this Google document
NOTE: Any work you do on your own car is entirely at your own risk

Hi

A thai guy has done a nice hack:

I’m not speaking thai but looks like he also did not go through the OBD port (timerange : 5:28 - 5:32)

Instead of ordering the connectors and headers and wiring up individually, it seems that the friendly people at Ali have already wired a cable for us ready to go:

Those appear to the the same connectors, and is already (almost) fully wired.
Seems that we only have to run 4 wires from this cable to a female obd connector and we would be set.

Can somone verify that? (i ordered one, but it will take some time to arrive…)